Volunteering for IPMA – why and how to get engaged?
As non-profit organisation IPMA is based on the voluntary contribution of hundreds of engaged people all over the world. All members of our boards, all officers, chairpersons, members of our committees, working groups, programs, projects, jury members and coordinators are acting as volunteers.
Why should you become a volunteer of IPMA?
There are many good reasons why you should engage as a volunteer in IPMA:
- Gaining international project management experience: Volunteering in IPMA means that you will work in diverse international teams. You develop intercultural skills and gain valuable experience for your career which will enhance your resume and make you more attractive in the job market.
- Developing new competences: By volunteering in IPMA you will develop and improve your communication, organizational, leadership, and teamwork skills.
- Gaining practical project management experience to be able to be eligible for an international certification.
- Building relationships: Volunteering is a great way to meet new like-minded people from all over the world and to build and strengthen relationships with individuals who share your passion for projects. You can form friendships, professional connections, or mentoring relationships.
- Giving back to the community: Volunteering at IPMA is a great way to give back to the community and make a positive impact for a better world. We at IPMA are convinced that we as the project profession support to achieve a better world.
- Becoming part of an international network: IPMA consists of 71 member associations on all continents worldwide. Both IPMA and our member associations are run by volunteers with the same passion for projects.
- Improving your mental health and enhancement: Volunteering has shown to have positive effects on mental health, including improving your self-esteem and exploring your own strengths.
Overall, volunteering at IPMA is a great way to develop new skills, build relationships, and support the project profession for a better world. By volunteering at IPMA, you can contribute to make a positive impact on the world around you.
How to apply as a volunteer in IPMA?
First you need to become a member of one of IPMA´s 71 member associations worldwide. You will start to volunteer in your national member association. After gaining some experience in your national member association they will recommend you for an international assignment in IPMA.