How to work remotely?
Not only in an emergency situation is useful to work remotely on projects. Remote work has its specifics therefore we prepare a list of the most important things to consider when working remotely or that might help you running projects virtually.
How to work remotely?
Working remotely needs a lot of discipline and set up the work so you can be the most productive.
- Jason Fried and Basecamp team offered that if you buy the book “Remote: Office not required”, they will give you money back.
- How to plan your day so you can produce at home
Which tools to use?
Tools that we tested for distributed work and which can help you:
- Google published a list of tips and tools from their production.
- In the IPMA Czech Republic, we are using mainly Google Drive for creating and sharing documents.
- Google Meet for our regular meetings and for webinars or online events.
- Company Microsoft offers a package of applications for managing company. For the change of work it is key application TEAMS. Because of Coronavirus Microsoft offers free licences of package Office 365 which includes Teams. Main features are: online team communication (screen sharing, voice, video), chat 1:1 or 1:n, team chat, sharing of documents, workspace integrating next services (Project, Power BI and others)
- If you need any help contact Microsoft or write to email@example.com.
- For calling except phones we are using Hangouts/ Google Meet from GSuite tools and FaceTime (amongst Apple users), Whereby, ZOOM, GoToMeeting
- Virtual dashboards, visual maps for example for Customer Journey or other graphics outputs shared real-time.
- Collaboration with team
- Do you need a quick solution on how to coordinate yourselves and so far you are using Excel? Try put the table to an online Excel table or Google Sheet or try out Trello, Notion. These tools don’t need any settings and you can learn fast how to use them.
- Chat – Slack, WhatsApp, Telegram or any chat tool within the tool for running projects.
Where to find more inspiration for remote work:
- Slack shared tips and tricks for remote work in ebook for free.
- You can watch records from conference WebSummit or TED.
- Collision Conf organises a huge conference with more than 50 speakers and more than 30 000 attendees fully online.
- Keynotes from Global eCollaboration Competition organised by IPMA Young Crew are focused on work in virtual environment and can serve as inspiration.
Written by: Alena Vejsadova, Honza Slavik (IPMA Czech Republic (IPMA CZ))
15 June 2018 | 7:26
5Ws 1H: A technique to improve Project Management Efficiencies
29 January 2018 | 8:13
5S (or 6S) Lean Management technique: Possible uses in project management
- 02 February 2018 | 2:32